Saturday, April 24, 2010

4 weeks on

I'm not going to have time to ruminate more on building a greenhouse out of windows in this post, since I'm busy with law school finals (last semester!), so I'll just update with the progress of the plants, since it's been 4 weeks today that I put the plants in the greenhouse.
To start, the tomatoes are ranging from about 15" tall to 22". The sugar snack and brandywine are growing the most vigorously at this point, but the early girl seems to be catching up. The better boy has yet to show its teeth but I still reckon when all is said and done it will produce some awesome tomatoes. All of the tomato plants have a couple sets of flowers on them, so I'm going to switch to bloom nutrients this week. Here are pics:

I put my child in front of them to try to give them some scale.



All 6 of my baby girls. They grow up so fast!



My sugar snack and brandywine. Both about 22" and growing a half inch per day. It's amazing how different the leaves on the heirloom brandywine look from all the other tomatoes. I wonder if I'm going to regret not choosing varieties specifically bred for greenhouse use.




The melons are looking good as well. They have anywhere from 11-15 nodes at the time, and they're starting to get into the range where I can let them flower. I'm also at the point with these that I'm going to switch nutrients. I really like watching these things grow.




...And now for something completely different. On Tuesday I finished my latest section of wall (just past the arch), and on Thursday I built a raised bed by sinking stones vertically into the ground. Then I laid some red plastic and planted them (apparently red plastic reflects the right kind of light to give tomatoes improved yields, but the literature is conflicting).


Here are the pepper plants we recently planted in the raised bed to the left. This is where we planted tomatoes last year.



Here are some of the sweet charlies (strawberries) that are on the terracing around the cistern. They seem very vigorous.



Here are the beds of strawberries we put in back in the fall of 2008.